Dutch Urban Design – What Can Canadian Cities adopt?
When it comes to urban design, the Dutch seem to get it right. What can North American cities learn from the Netherlands? In this webinar, we will discuss some of the elements that make Dutch cities so successful. We will cover the principles to create livable and dense city centers, think about the implications of the Corona crisis, and discuss what Canadian cities can use.
Why is it unaffordable to build affordable housing?
Guest Speaker: Nancy Singer, Director of Strategic Initiatives, Kehilla
- What incentives can you get for building it?
- What’s the Process?
- Proforma Review
- What needs to change to make it work?
- Why do developers need to partner and include non – profits?
- How do we make it all work?
Zero Emissions Targets - Market Transition
Guest Speaker: David MacMillan, Program Manager, Public Energy Initiatives – New Development, Environment & Energy Division, City of Toronto
- The Toronto Green Standard (TGS) as a key driver of zero-emissions development
- Analysis of the TGS capital cost premium for zero-emissions multi-unit residential buildings
- Business models and City of Toronto incentives that can help make the business case work
Family Friendly Condos: A Pipe Dream or a Missed Opportunity?
Moderator: Pauline Lierman, Director of Market Research at Urbanation Inc.
Panelists: Sasha Cucuz, CEO at Greybrook Securities and Partner at Greybrook Capital, and Naama Blonder, Architect and Urban Planner, Smart Density
Panelists debated whether Toronto’s market can or cannot support the construction of well-designed condos for families.
- Why are developers opposed to building family-friendly condos?
- How can families address their housing needs?
- If demand exists, why isn’t it being met?
- Are current regulatory barriers too hard to overcome?
Modular Construction 101
Guest Speakers: Chris Smith, Project Manager at EllisDon Modular, and Temo Cruz, Prefabrication and Modular Coordinator at EllisDon Modular
Main points: Everything you need to know about this innovative construction type: why, where and how to use it?
- Introduction to Modular/Off-site Construction
- EllisDon Technology & Design/Optimization Guidelines
- Modular Project Example
Bill 108 + Bill 197: Community Benefits, Development Charges and Parkland Dedication
Guest Speaker: Rebecca Hines, Aird & Berlis LLP
In this presentation, Rebecca Hines, a lawyer with Aird & Berlis LLP’s Municipal and Land Use Planning Group, will provide a high-level overview of, and commentary on, the new community benefits, development charges and parkland dedication legislative framework and what these changes may mean for the development community moving forward.
Missing Middle Policies in 5 Cities across Canada and the U.S.
5 Cities, 5 Middle Housing Policies
A discussion moderated by Alex Bozikovic, Architecture Critic, The Globe and Mail
Hear from 5 Urban Planners:
- Vancouver, British Columbia: Paula Huber, Senior Planner, Community Planning, City of Vancouver
- Seattle, Washington: Geoffrey Wentlandt, Planner, the City of Seattle
- Portland, Oregon: Morgan Tracy, Project Manager, City of Portland Bureau of Planning and Sustainability
- Minneapolis, Minnesota: Heather Worthington, Principal at Worthington Advisors
- Toronto, Ontario: Graig Uens, Senior Planner – Office of the Chief Planner at City of Toronto